Last modified: July 2, 2014
Grocery Outlet Inc., doing business as Grocery Outlet Bargain Market (“Company” or “We”) respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website www.groceryoutlet.com (our “Website”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to:
- Information we collect on this Website;
- Information we collect through mobile and desktop applications you download from the Website or otherwise, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and this Website; and
- Information we collect in e-mail, text and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
It does not apply to:
- Information collected by us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Company or any third party; or
- Information collected by any third party, including through any application or content that may link to or be accessible from the Website.
Children Under the Age of 13
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use this Website or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
Overview: We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including:
- Information by which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, and telephone number (“personal information”);
- Information about your favorite store and store location;
- Information about any requests or transactions you submit to or conduct with us through this Website; and/or
- Information that is about you but does not individually identify you, such as your location data, and about your internet connection, the equipment and browser you use to access this Website and usage details, which may include IP addresses, browsing actions and patterns, the referring page that linked you to us and the website you visit after this Website and other information collected through cookies and other automatic data collection technologies (collectively, “website usage information“).
In the event any information we collect from or about you is combined with personal information, we will treat such combined information as personal information.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us or to third parties who are acting on our behalf or providing services for us in connection with the operations of this Website.
- Automatically as you navigate through this Website.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information provided at the time of requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with our Website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website and of the fulfillment of your orders. You may be required to provide financial information before placing an order through our Website.
- Your search queries on the Website.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we or our service providers may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is typically statistical data, which does not individually identify you. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies. For information about managing your privacy and security settings for Flash cookies, see “Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information.”
- Web Beacons. Pages of our the Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs. pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
We do not collect personal Information automatically, but we may tie this information to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
Information Collected By a Payment Processor
Information Collected By a Third Party Application Management System for Job Applications
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To operate, improve and present this Website and its contents to you;
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us;
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it;
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any agreements entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection;
- To notify you about changes to this Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it;
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information; and
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them;
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates;
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of the Company’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by the Company about this Website users is among the assets transferred;
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information; and
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of the Company, our customers or others.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Promotional Offers from the Company. If you do not wish to have your email address used by the Company to promote our own products or services, you can opt-out by checking the relevant box located on the form on which we collect your data, or at any other time by sending us an email stating your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may follow the unsubscribe process at the bottom of the promotional email. This opt-out does not apply to information provided to the Company as a result of a product purchase, product service experience or other transactions.
We also do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However, you can opt-out of receiving interested-based ads from third party advertisers and ad networks who are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI“) or who follow the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA“) Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising by visiting NAI’s opt-out page and DAA’s opt-out page.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or write us at: 5650 Hollis Street, Emeryville CA 94608.
We use reasonable security measures to protect your information collected through this Website. However, no method of transmission or electronic storage is 100% effective, and we cannot guarantee absolute security. We are not responsible for the circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on or concerning this Website. You are also responsible for taking reasonable steps to protect your personal information against unauthorized disclosure or misuse.
In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your personal information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we would endeavor to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, if we have your email address, we may notify you by email. You consent to our use of email as a means of such notification. If you prefer for us to use another method to notify you in this situation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the alternative contact information you wish to be used.
Visiting this Website from Outside the United States