Sunday Oven Pot Roast
Cover the roasting pan with a tight-fitting lid or with a double thickness of foil.
2 hours 35 minutes
- 12-1/2- to 3-pound boneless beef chuck pot roast
- Ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 114-ounce can beef broth
- 2stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 5cups assorted fresh vegetables (such as Yukon Gold or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces; parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces; shallots or garlic bulbs, peeled and halved horizontally; and/or carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/4cup cold water
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Trim fat from meat. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. In a roasting pan or large ovenproof Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook meat in hot oil until brown on all sides. Drain off fat. Add broth, celery,and onion.
- Cover and roast for 1 1/4 hours. Using a slotted spoon, remove and discard celery. Arrange assorted vegetables around meat. Roast, uncovered, for 50 to 60 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender, basting twice with pan juices. Using the slotted spoon, transfer meat and vegetables to a serving platter; cover and keep warm.
- For gravy, measure pan juices; skim off fat. If necessary, add enough water to juices to equal 1 1/2 cups. In a small saucepan, combine the cold water and flour; add the 1 1/2 cups pan juices. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve meat and vegetables with gravy.
Slow Cooker Directions: Trim fat from meat. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Omit oil. Place all of the vegetables in cooker; add meat and broth. Cover and cook on Low for 9 to 11 hours or on High for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours. Remove meat and vegetables from cooker; cover and keep warm. Continue as directed in Step
Per serving (recipe makes )
|Mono Saturated Fat||4g|