This delicious guacamole recipe replaces half the amount of high-calorie avocado in a traditional guacamole recipe with a stealth, low-calorie vegetable—zucchini—to cut 100 calories and 6 grams of fat so we can eat more guacamole with fewer calories. We use the microwave to cook the zucchini until it’s very tender, but you can steam it on the stovetop if you prefer.
4 servings, about 1/2 cup each
- 1large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1large ripe avocado, cubed
- 1/4cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4cup finely chopped onion
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce, or more to taste
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Place zucchini in a microwave-safe dish, cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on High until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain in a sieve, pressing lightly on the zucchini to extract any liquid.
- Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl; add avocado, cilantro, onion, garlic, lime juice, hot sauce and salt and coarsely mash until combined.
Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings, about 1/2 cup each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||5g|