Sausage & Peppers Baked Ziti
This healthy baked ziti recipe doesn’t require any chopping and is made on the stovetop, so it is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. Using whole-wheat pasta adds fiber; opt for penne if whole-wheat ziti is hard to find.
4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
- 8ounces whole-wheat penne or ziti
- 116-ounce bag frozen pepper and onion mix (not thawed)
- 6ounces turkey sausage (2 large links), crumbled
- 28-ounce cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup reduced-fat cottage cheese
- 3/4cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add frozen vegetables and sausage; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid from the vegetables has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Stir tomato sauce, garlic powder, oregano and salt into the skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in cottage cheese and the pasta. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Top with shredded cheese.
- Place the skillet under the broiler to brown the cheese, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||3g|