Pumpkin Cake with Dried Cranberries
This pretty pumpkin-cranberry Bundt cake is a delicious alternative to holiday pumpkin pie. Cinnamon and allspice give it that traditional pumpkin flavor perfect for any festive fall occasion.
2 1/2 hours (including cooling time)
- 2 1/2cups whole-wheat pastry flour or 1 cup whole-wheat flour and 1 2/3 cups cake flour
- 2cups cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 1/2teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon ground allspice
- 2large egg whites
- 2cups packed light or dark brown sugar
- 115-ounce can unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/3cup canola oil
- 2teaspoons freshly grated orange or lemon zest (optional)
- 1 1/2cups dried cranberries or raisins
Glaze & Garnish
- 1/2cup packed confectioners' sugar
- 1tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2teaspoon freshly grated orange zest, plus julienned zest for garnish
- To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. To prepare cake coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice in a large bowl. Whisk egg whites, brown sugar, pumpkin, yogurt, oil and orange (or lemon) zest, if using, in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Fold the pumpkin mixture and dried cranberries (or raisins) into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until completely blended. Do no over mix. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool on the rack.
- To prepare glaze: Place confectioners’ sugar and zest to taste in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon orange juice and stir until smooth. Add up to 1/2 tablespoon more juice to thin the glaze to desired consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake. Garnish with julienned zest, if desired.
Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
12-cup Bundt pan
Per serving (recipe makes 24 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||2g|