Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
For a whole-wheat version of these chocolate candy-topped cookies, use only 1 cup all-purpose flour and add 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour.
about 54 cookies
- 1/2cup shortening
- 1/2cup peanut butter
- 3/4cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2cup packed brown sugar
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8teaspoon baking soda
- 1large egg
- 2tablespoons milk
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4cups all-purpose flour
- 54milk-chocolate kisses or stars
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping the sides of bowl. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate kiss (or star) into each cookie's center. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack; let cool.
Bake cookies, press chocolate kiss (or star) into hot cookie center, then cool completely. Arrange cookies in an airtight or freezer container in a single layer; cover with a sheet of wax paper. Repeat layers, leaving enough space to close the container easily. Freeze for up to 1 month.
Per serving (recipe makes about 54 cookies)