Maple-Mustard Baked Chicken
Enjoy this crunchy chicken at home for a family supper or take it along on a picnic to eat cold—no forks and knives required!
1 3/4 hours (including 30 minutes marinating time)
- 3tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2tablespoons pure maple syrup, preferably grade B
- 2tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 1tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 4pounds bone-in chicken pieces (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts), skin removed, trimmed
- 1 1/2cups fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- Whisk mustard, maple syrup, 1 tablespoon oil, thyme, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat evenly. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Set a wire rack on a large baking sheet.
- Combine breadcrumbs and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil on a plate. Dredge the skinned side of each chicken piece in the breadcrumbs (with drumsticks, dredge the meatier side) and arrange breaded-side up on the wire rack. Leave at least 1 inch between pieces.
- Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165°F, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve hot or let cool, refrigerate and serve chilled.
To make fresh breadcrumbs, trim off any tough crusts and tear or cut the bread into pieces. Process in a food processor until coarse or fine crumbs form. Use right away or freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Thaw before using. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh coarse breadcrumbs.
When using a combination of thighs, drumsticks and breasts, cut each breast in half crosswise to make pieces about the size of an average chicken thigh. And if you buy whole legs, separate the drumsticks and thighs. When all the pieces are about the same size, they’ll all cook at the same rate.
Marinate the chicken for up to 6 hours. Refrigerate the baked chicken for up to 1 day.
Per serving (recipe makes 8 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||4g|