Chicken Chili with Sweet Potatoes
Tons of spice, corn and bell pepper give this healthy one-pot chicken chili recipe Southwestern flair. Serve with your favorite hot sauce and tortilla chips.
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1large onion, chopped
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 2cups cubed sweet potato (1/2-inch)
- 1medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2tablespoons chili powder
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 115-ounce can low-sodium cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2cups low-sodium chicken broth or homemade chicken stock
- 1cup frozen corn
- 2cups cubed cooked chicken (1/2-inch; about 10 ounces)
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground pepper
- Sour cream, avocado and/or cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, sweet potato and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add beans and broth (or stock) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and stir in corn; cook 1 minute. Add chicken and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in salt and pepper. Serve topped with sour cream, avocado and/or cilantro, if desired.
Per serving (recipe makes 5 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||5g|