Chicken Breakfast Burritos
Find a new use for frozen hash browns in these California-inspired breakfast burritos. The extra step of grilling prior to serving ensures warm tortillas and perfectly melted cheese.
- 3tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2cups refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4cup diced cooked chicken or ham, or crumbled, cooked pork sausage patties or links
- 1/3cup milk
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon ground black pepper
- 810-inch flour tortillas
- 14-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 1/4cups shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese (5 ounces)
- Red and/or green salsa, optional
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until melted. Stir in potatoes, garlic and cumin. Spread in an even layer; press down lightly with a spatula. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. Turn potatoes over; spread evenly and press down lightly. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes more or until golden brown and crisp. Stir in chicken (or ham or sausage). Remove from pan; set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat until melted. Pour in egg mixture. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture begins to set on bottom and around edge. Using a spatula or large spoon, lift and fold the partially cooked egg mixture so the uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes or until egg mixture is cooked through but is still glossy and moist. Immediately remove from heat.
- Stack tortillas and wrap in paper towels. Microwave on High for about 1 minute or until heated through. Divide potato mixture among tortillas, spooning it just below the center of each tortilla. Divide egg mixture and chiles among tortillas; sprinkle with cheese. Fold bottom edge of each tortilla up and over filling, fold in opposite sides, and roll up from the bottom. Tightly wrap each burrito in heavy foil.
- Prepare grill (with a cover): For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around edge of grill. Test for medium heat above center of grill. Place foil-wrapped burritos on grill rack over center of grill, stacking slightly, if necessary. Cover and heat about 15 minutes or until heated through, turning and rearranging once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking and heat as above.) Serve burritos with salsa.
Prepare burritos through Step 3. Foil-wrapped burritos can be refrigerated for up to 1 day before proceeding with Step 4.
Per serving (recipe makes )