Stovetop Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
We trimmed 9 grams of fat and almost 100 calories in this makeover of cheesy chicken-and-broccoli casserole. All the raw ingredients are layered in a skillet, then simmered for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 8ounces whole-wheat egg noodles
- 114-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 114- to 16-ounce package frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped, if desired
- 1 1/2cups skim milk
- 1/2cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1/2cups shredded Colby-Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Place noodles in a large skillet. Pour broth over the noodles. Layer chicken, then broccoli over the noodles.
- Whisk milk, mayonnaise, flour, dry mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour over the broccoli.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the noodles and chicken are cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler to high.
- When the casserole is done, sprinkle cheese on top and broil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
Per serving (recipe makes 6 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||4g|