Steak with Cheddar Roasted Cabbage
A mix of roasted cabbage and red onion is topped with melted cheese for a divine side to steak in this quick and healthy dinner recipe. Serve with a mixed green salad or toasted and lightly buttered bread.
- 2medium red onions, cut into 8 wedges each
- 1/2medium cabbage, cored and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1pounds boneless strip steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed
- 1/2cup shredded sharp Cheddar, Gruyère or fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine onions, cabbage, 2 tablespoons oil, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring twice, until the vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- About 10 minutes before the vegetables are done, pat steak dry and cut into 4 equal portions. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn over, reduce heat to medium-low and cook to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with foil.
- Push the vegetables into 4 mounds. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese on each and return to the oven until melted, about 2 minutes. Serve the steaks with the vegetables.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||12g|