Steak & Purple-Potato Salad
This hearty steak and potato salad is inspired by salpicón, a favorite dish in Chile. The purple potatoes add vibrant color but you can substitute any young “new” potatoes that are harvested early in the season—even small fingerlings would work. Serve on a bed of spicy mesclun greens to round out the meal. This recipe can easily be doubled.
2 servings, about 2 1/2 cups each
- 1teaspoon lime juice
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt, divided
- 1clove garlic, mashed into a paste
- 8ounces sirloin steak, trimmed
- 3/4pound small purple potatoes, scrubbed
- 2tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4large radishes, sliced
- 3scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix lime juice, chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and garlic in a small bowl to form a paste; rub onto both sides of steak. Refrigerate the steak.
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Drain, let cool for 10 minutes, then quarter.
- While the potatoes cool, preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Oil the grill rack or pan. Grill the steak, turning once, until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 140°F, about 10 minutes total on the grill or 16 to 20 minutes in a grill pan. Let rest for 5 minutes, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Whisk vinegar, oil, cumin, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the steak and any accumulated juices, the potatoes, radishes, scallions and cilantro; gently toss to coat.
Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Toss the steak and potatoes with the dressing and vegetables (Step 4) just before serving.
Per serving (recipe makes 2 servings, about 2 1/2 cups each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||7g|