Steak & Potatoes with Anchovy-Caper Vinaigrette
You’ll never think of “steak and potatoes” the same way once you taste them drizzled with this smoky, full-flavored anchovy-caper vinaigrette. Serve with steamed green beans.
- 1pound red potatoes, halved if small, quartered if larger
- 1/2teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2anchovy fillets, minced, or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2teaspoons capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1/2teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked
- 1pounds skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add potatoes, cover and steam until tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher to desired consistency. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, parsley, anchovies (or anchovy paste), capers, garlic and paprika in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle steaks with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill the steak 1 1/2 to 3 minutes per side for medium. Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve the steak and potatoes drizzled with the vinaigrette.
Before cooking, cut the steak with the grain into several portions to make the long piece more manageable on the grill or in a skillet. Once cooked, be sure to slice it across the grain for maximum tenderness. Hanger steak, flat-iron and flank steak can all be used as substitutes for skirt steak in most recipes.
To make this recipe using the broiler, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan or large baking sheet with cooking spray. Broil steak on the prepared pan, turning once, 2 to 4 minutes per side for medium.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||10g|