Pretzel & White Chocolate Whole-Grain Blondies
This whole-grain pretzel-and-white-chocolate blondie recipe has half the amount of brown sugar and butter as a traditional recipe and is made with 100% whole-wheat flour. The results: scrumptious toffee-flavored treats with fewer calories and less added sugars per serving.
2 hours 40 minutes
- 8tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3/4cup chopped thin pretzel sticks, divided
- 3/4cup chopped white chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil, allowing it to slightly overhang opposite edges. Coat with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, swirling often, until fragrant and starting to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Whisk in brown sugar; let cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs and vanilla into the cooled butter mixture until well combined. Add the flour mixture in two additions, gently folding until just combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons each pretzels and chocolate chips; fold the remaining pretzels and chocolate into the batter. Evenly spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the reserved pretzels and chocolate on top.
- Bake the blondies until light brown around the edges, 18 to 22 minutes. They will appear slightly underbaked in the center; but will firm up as they cool. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack, about 2 hours. To cut, grab the overhanging parchment or foil and transfer the whole batch to a cutting board, then cut into 24 bars.
To cut bars, grab the overhanging parchment or foil and transfer the whole batch to a cutting board, then cut into bars.
White whole-wheat flour is made from hard white wheat berries, which makes it lighter in color and flavor than regular whole-wheat flour, but with the same nutritional properties. For the best flavor, store it airtight in the freezer.
Cover and store airtight for up to 3 days; freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving (recipe makes 24 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||2g|