Escarole & Turkey Sausage Pizza
The robust flavor of escarole is a brilliant companion for mellow, creamy Gouda cheese and savory turkey sausage in this easy-to-make pizza recipe. If you really want to amp up the flavor, try this healthy pizza with aged Gouda. It has a nuttier flavor that makes this recipe even more mouthwatering.
- 2links hot or sweet turkey sausage
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8cups chopped escarole (1 medium head)
- 2teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1tablespoon minced garlic
- 1pound pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 3/4cup shredded Gouda cheese
- Position rack in lower third of oven. Place a pizza stone or large pizza pan on the rack and preheat oven to 450°F. Place sausage in a small baking pan or skillet and place on the stone (or pan) to cook for 20 minutes while the oven preheats.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add escarole and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and garlic in a small bowl.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12- to 14-inch circle.
- When the sausage is almost done, carefully remove the pizza stone (or pan) from the oven and set on a heatproof surface. Place the dough on it and brush with the garlic-oil mixture. Spread the escarole on the dough. When the sausage is done, cut it into 1/2-inch slices and place on top of the pizza, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Carefully return the stone (or pan) to the lower rack and bake the pizza until crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
To roll pizza dough, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Dust the top with flour; dimple with your fingertips to shape into a thick, flattened circle—don’t worry if it’s not perfectly symmetrical. Then use a rolling pin to roll into the desired size. If your dough “resists” being rolled out, let it rest for about 15 minutes, then try rolling it out again.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||8g|