Crispy Baked Drumsticks with Honey-Mustard Sauce
These baked chicken drumsticks are crispy-crunchy outside and succulent and juicy inside. Serve with sweet potato fries and spinach salad.
4 servings, 2 drumsticks & 2 tablespoons sauce
- 3/5cup fine dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/2teaspoon paprika
- 1/2teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 5teaspoons canola oil
- 1large egg
- 8chicken drumsticks (about 2 pounds total), skin removed, trimmed
- 1/4cup nonfat plain yogurt, preferably Greek-style
- 2tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2tablespoons honey
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a wire rack with cooking spray and set it on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Mix breadcrumbs, paprika, onion powder and salt in a shallow dish. Drizzle with oil and mash with a fork until the oil is thoroughly incorporated. Lightly beat egg with a fork in another shallow dish. Dip the drumsticks into the egg, then press into the breading mixture until evenly coated on both sides. (Discard any remaining mixture and/or egg.) Place the chicken on the prepared rack.
- Bake the chicken until golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching bone registers 165°F, 25 to 30 minutes.
- To prepare sauce: Combine yogurt, mustard, honey and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the sauce with the drumsticks.
To make your own fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. To make fine breadcrumbs, process until very fine. To make dry breadcrumbs, spread coarse or fine breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs or about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs.
Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 4) for up to 3 days.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings, 2 drumsticks & 2 tablespoons sauce)
|Mono Saturated Fat||5g|