These delicious recipes from the Grocery Outlet Buyer’s Kitchen are created by our NOSH buyers. They work hard to scout out the highest quality and most varied selection of NOSH products at the best prices possible! As they find tasty NOSH items, they develop these recipes to share with you. Enjoy!
Paleo Pad Thai
A great guilt-free twist on a classic takeout favorite! Substitute cabbage for noodles and add your favorite protein. Try: chicken, pork, shrimp, fish or an egg!
This recipe uses Coconut Oil, which has a higher smoking point, making it great for sauteeing the cabbage and chicken in this recipe. It’s also full of nutrients, antioxidants, and helps support the absorption of other minerals.
1 head cabbage (green or purple)
1-2 tablespoons coconut oil ( can substitute olive oil)
1 tablespoon of sesame oil ( can substitute olive, or chia oil are great substitutes!)
1 medium white onion
4 cloves garlic
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch parsley
1 lemon (1/2 of the juice for the sauce and 1/2 for the cabbage in the pan)
Generous pinch of sea salt & pepper
Sesame or CHIA seeds to garnish
3 large Organic Chicken Breasts (optional)
3 tablespoons of Sriracha (adjust to taste)
2 tablespoons of almond butter
2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Thinly slice the cabbage into “noodle-like” strips. Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Roughly chop cilantro and parsley (leave a few whole sprigs for garnishing). Set aside.
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl, add the almond butter, Sriracha, lemon juice & apple cider vinegar. Mix to incorporate and set aside.
- Cook your protein (Grilled Chicken for this version): Cut chicken breasts into medium sized cubes. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a cast-iron skillet. Add the chicken pieces and grill until cooked through. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the onion and sauté for 1- 2 minutes just before translucent. Add the cabbage, sesame oil, and garlic and sauté until tender leaving a bit of “crunch” left in the cabbage.
- Add the sauce and incorporate until evenly blended and heated through. Turn off the heat and add in the cilantro and parsley and incorporate.
- Plate the “pad thai” and place grilled chicken atop. Garnish with chia or sesame seeds & enjoy!