Update: Our 2015 campaign raised $484,498! Congratulations and thank you for your participation!
Grocery Outlet has launched its 5th Annual Independence From Hunger® Food Drive to donate food throughout July, traditionally a time when food agencies experience fewer donations, but greater need, as they serve children who are off from school during the summer.
According to the Food Research and Action Center, 6 out of 7 low-income kids who eat a free or reduced-price school lunch during the academic year do not get a free meal during the summer. (Source: Food Research and Action Center, Hunger Doesn’t Take a Vacation: Summer Nutrition Status Report 2012).
Each of our stores is teaming up with a local food agency in their area, and all donations received throughout the campaign will go directly to that partner.
“This annual giving campaign is a flagship effort of Grocery Outlet when we encourage our customers and employees to donate food and money to the most needy children in our communities,” said Grocery Outlet Inc. Co-CEO MacGregor Read. “We are so proud to partner with local food assistance agencies and be able to make an impact on a national level during the most dire time of year.”
The USDA also reports that 1 in every 6 Americans is food insecure and 46.5 million Americans (15%) were reported as living at or below the poverty level in 2012 (U.S. Census Bureau, Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the U.S. – Data collected in 2012 and released September, 2013.).
Ways customers can help:
- Look for specially-marked food items. These are items that each local food agency has identified as “high-need” items. Purchase these products and then place in the collection bin at the front of the store.
- Pick up a pre-made bag that is filled with an assortment of the groceries that have been identified as needed.
- Tell your cashier you want to make a cash donation at the register. Donations will go directly to that store’s local food agency partner. Donate $1, $5 or round up your change.
- Pickup information at a Grocery Outlet store about hunger, food insecurity and local/national resources for people in need. Be informed and willing to help.
- Join the events at your local store to support the Independence from Hunger® food drive.
“The face of poverty has changed and hunger is a reality in every community throughout the country,” said Read. “We are eager for the 5th Annual Independence from Hunger® Campaign because it is a time for communities to rally together and help children in need. All of the donations collected at each store will directly impact people in your community.”
Each of our stores are independently owned and operated by families who are committed to giving back to the local community. Customers can help make a difference by visiting their local Grocery Outlet and participating in the Independence from Hunger® food drive.