A 12-Month Series by Guest Blogger Julia Wessels, from The Frugal Find
It’s that time of year again: it’s Garage Sale Season! Yes it's a season, look... Fall, Winter, Spring, Garage-Saling, and Summer. See? I told you!
I absolutely LOVE to go out on a Saturday morning and hit multiple garage sales. It’s a fun hobby, but it’s also a frugal way that I provide for my family. If there is something that we need, say clothes for the kids, a griddle, a printer, a patio table, etc., it goes on my Garage Sale Hunting List. We have envelopes for these expenses already budgeted, so I figure out the funds and plan my trip.
Here are a just a few tips to make the experience worthwhile…
1. Have a plan. I use the iGarageSale app on my iPhone to help me along the way, but beforehand I search Craigslist and the newspaper for ads that look like they may have a few of the items I’m looking for. I gather the address and add them to my GPS, optimizing them so that I’m not driving back and forth across town.
2. Have a budget. Bring a certain amount of cash and leave the rest at home. You’re much less likely to overspend if you simply don’t have a way to do so.
3. Show up on time, but not early. I like to get to a garage that I know has something I want on-time, but if you're there early you risk being annoying. If you annoy the seller, they're less likely to want to bargain with you. Plus it's just rude, they had to roll out of bed much earlier than usual on a Saturday morning and they're probably feeling a bit stressed as it is.
4. Practice negotiating. People that are selling the items you’re shopping for consider much of it “junk” and that works to your advantage. Many times I’ve been blown away by what people consider junk because to me it’s a treasure! With that said, always ask if they’ll take less. More times than not they will. Now don’t undercut them to the point of insulting them, but it is a garage sale and bargaining is the game.
5. Be prepared. Pack a snack, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and lots of water – but not too much because you’ll have to find a restroom!
What are some of your best Garage Sale tips? Let's talk selling and shopping!